Sunday, December 21, 2008
extrajudicial killings and other human rights violations
fraud-laden big ticket contracts
patronage and dynastic politics
lies and cover-up
abuse of authority
shameless bid to stay in power
- cremains = cremated remains
- risk = threat + vulnerability
- Gilbert Remulla = spokesperson of Villar's Nacionalista Party
- EJK = extrajudicial killings = EJE = extrajudicial executions
- Obamanomics = Economically, Obamanomics represents a belief in the need for governments to stimulate their economies with spending increases and tax cuts paid for by increases in borrowing. Politically, it means a belief in big government and an emphasis on what politicians of the center-left call fairness - as illustrated by promises to make the rich pay more tax (Source: Nick Robinson).
- POV = points of view
Friday, December 19, 2008
- LGRA = local government and regional administration
- food = the only material culture that becomes part of our bio-physiological composition
- pandemic = pandaigdigang epidemiko
- Senate President = ranks 3rd in the constitutional succession (Philippines)
- tax incentives = are no longer effective in luring foreign investors
and increase foregone tax revenue (Enrile)
- aklas-sining = protest art
- Asian Center = Pulungang-Aral sa Asya
Thursday, December 18, 2008
- "Bato-bato sa langit, ang tamaan, magbago!" - Prof. M. Chua
- "Alam naman natin ang track record ng Malabon sa baha.
Hindi na usapin ang baha, ang tanong na lamang ay ang lalim ng baha." - Prof. R. Tolentino
- "Kahit na mababa ang suweldo sa UP, kaya pa rin ng mga tiwaling guro gamitin ang prestihiyo ng unibersidad para mas mahusay na ibenta ang sarili sa mga nasa kapangyarihan. Handa nilang ibenta kahit ang sariling kaluluwa kahit na nangangahulugan ito ng pagkadungis sa pamantasang pinaglilingkuran nila." - Prof. D. Arao
- Department of Social Welfare and Development
- Department of Public Works and Highways
- Department of Health
- Land Transportation Office
- Metropolitan Manila Development Authority
- Department of Science and Technology
- Bureau of Immigration
- National Housing Authority
- Department of Finance (BIR and BI are bureaus under DoF)
- Bureau of Internal Revenue
5 out of the 10 awardees are in the Top 10 public agencies with the poorest rating
in terms of net sincerity in fighting corruption (SWS). Paano nangyaring champion?
A Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, with eyes contrite and melancholy, saying, “I-am-sorry”?
Or a Mar Roxas boldly saying “I am not sorry”?"
- Atty. Raul Pangalangan, former UP College of Law Dean
Read - http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=20081219-178747
House of Representathieves
CONgress = opposite of PROgress
“It’s like entrusting your teenage daughter in the care of a rapist.”
- analogy provided by Manila Archbishop Gaudencio Rosales pertaining
to the Con-Ass proposal of the administration solons to amend the 1987 Charter
- aliterate = young people or adults who have acquired the abilities to read, write and calculate, but who do not use these literacy skills (EFA Global Reporting)
- non-binding = a document that carries no formal legal obligations but may carry moral obligations (Human Rights Resource Book)
- foreign remittances = saving grace of the Philippine economy in light of the lower tax revenue, foreign loans and export earning, and volatile financial sector
- indivisible = refers to the equal importance of each human rights law; a person cannot be denied a right because someone decides it is "less important" or "not essential" (Human Rights Resource Book); All human rights have equal status, and cannot be positioned in a hierarchical order (UN Population Fund)
- inalienable = refers to rights that belong to every person and cannot be taken from a person under any circumstances (Human Rights Resource Book)
- Human Rights Principles = http://www.unfpa.org/rights/principles.htm
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
- Unhealthy diets and physical inactivity are two of the main risk factors for raised blood pressure, raised blood glucose, abnormal blood lipids, overweight/obesity, and for the major chronic diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and diabetes.
- Overall, 2.7 million deaths are attributable to low fruit and vegetable intake.
- Overall, 1.9 million deaths are attributable to physical inactivity.
- impeachment = a failed concept under the present government (Peter Wallace)
- adultery = there will be no such thing without marriage laws (C. Veneracion)
- theft = there will be no such things without the concept of private property; "How could there be when everything was owned in common? How could a person steal from himself?" (C. Veneracion)
- calibrated = manner of transforming China and Vietnam into capitalist economies (A. Abaya)
- pariah = outcast
- Bayani-Teodoro (both Lakas-CMD)
- Noli-Vilma (independent and Lakas-CMD, respectively)
- Manny-Pangilinan (NP and independent, respectively)
- Loren-Chiz (Both NPC)
- Erap-Loren (reminds me of the FPJ-Loren tandem in '04, PMP and NPC, respectively)
- Mar-Noynoy (Both Liberal Party)
- Ping-Jamby (Both opposition hard-liners)
- Binay-? (opposition)
- Gordon-? (administration)
- ?-Revilla (administration)
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
Source: National Statistics Office
- Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
- Delight in the simple joys of walking.
- When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
- Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
- When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close, and nuzzle him/her gently.
- Take naps. Stretch before rising.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
- Isa sa mga kontribusyon ng Development Studies Program sa darating na DSS Week
(Peb. 2-7) ay ang Aklas-Sining Palayok Painting Exhibit.
- Mangyaring magtext sa akin ang mga estudyanteng interesadong magpasa at makibahagi ngayon pa lang. Nasa ibaba ang pagpipiliang tema.
- Maaring magpasa ng mag-isa, may katambal o bilang isang grupo na may 3 hanggang 6 na kasapi.
- Maaaring magpagawa sa mga kakilala. Kaya ko inihayag agad ang proyektong ito ay para sa mga gustong makibahagi pero hindi bihasa sa pagpipinta, subalit may kakilalang mahihingan ng tulong habang bakasyon.
- Pintahan ang palayok sa posisyong nakataob. Mga kagamitan: palayok na may karaniwang laki, pintura, brush, atbp.
- Isumite sa akin ang exhibit entry sa ika-27 ng Enero 2009 (Martes) kasama ang papel na naglalaman ng titulo nito, (mga) pangalan ng nagsumite, pangalan ng may dibuho at maikling paliwanag ukol dito (8x11 bond paper, TNR, 12 points, single spacing).
- Ang mga sumusunod ang maaaring pagpiliang tema:
-TNC plunder of the environment
-Struggle of the national minorities
-Human rights violation
-Struggle of health activists
-Mcdonaldization of the society
-US military presence
-"Frankenfood" (GMO food)
- Maaaring mas maging espisipiko pa kayo kaysa sa mga paksang nabanggit.
- Magsaliksik mabuti ukol sa temang napili upang higit na maisalarawan ang isyu.
- Gawing mapanuri, malikhain at kakaiba ang dulog (approach).
- Sana ay makibahagi rin ang mga pangmasang organisasyon sa kampus sa proyektong ito.
- Lansagin ang kulturang dekadente, malakolonyal at kontra-mamamayan!
- Magtext sa akin kung mayroon kayong nais linawin. Salamat.
- People's Intitiative (2006 attempt to change the Charter) = 8-7* (against P.I.)
- Calibrated Pre-Emptive Response (violent dispersal of anti-GMA protests) = 13-0 (against CPR)
- EO 464 (gag order to prevent officials from attending Senate inquiries) = 14-0 (against EO 464)
- PP 1017 (state of national emergency) = 11-3 (against PP 1017)
- Executive privilege (covering the conversation between GMA and Neri) = 9-6 (in favor of E.P.)
- MOA-AD (ancestral land deal between the GRP and MILF) = 8-7* (against MOA-AD)
*could have been the other way around
- Is there anyone out there who has UP Naming Mahal ringtone? Kindly send it to me via bluetooth if we chance upon each other in the campus next year. Prof. Simbulan is also interested to save it in his mobile phone. Salamat in advance.
- Some quarters are floating the idea of Fernando-Teodoro as possible Lakas-CMD presidential tandem to presumably confuse the political opposition and make them complacent. But, according to the grapevine, Noli-Vilma team-up is not an impossibility.
- DZMM's Ted Failon and Korina Sanchez reminder: "Pumili ng masigla, tapat at ligtas na bangko na pag-iimpukan ng inyong pera." BSP's deputy governor agreed.
- Pinaka-mataas na pagpupugay sa ika-30 taong paglipad ng IBON Foundation.
Si Dr. Edberto M. Villegas (apo ng bayaning si Miguel Malvar) ang kasalukuyang tagapangulo nito.
- land reform = land redistribution
- agrarian reform = land redistribution + credit facilities + agricultural extension services (soil science, fertilizer use) + community development + etc.
- Toys are us = http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=20081217-178377
- nation-state = country
- Vatican City = smallest nation-state*
- Nauru = smallest independent island republic
*correction in our DS 125 quiz
-Kamusta na ang tambalang Chaz-Neil?
-Kamusta naman ang tambalang Onanad-Soliza?
-Natatangi ang grupo nina Mr. More (goat, kambing! goat, goat, kambing, kambing!)
-Pinaka-pawisan awardee (batay sa ebidensya): Mr. Miranda
-Kapwa ko ayaw tumakbo: Ms. "Charice" Domingo
-0.25 course card grade incentive: PATO TEAM (Nikki, Kat, Eunice, Dyan, Kate, Bryan, Kat)
-Pagbati kina Neil and Tin para sa pagkilalang Mr. and Ms. Teambuilding :)
-Pagpupugay sa bagong El Commandante Aarti Advani
-Pagpupugay kay outgoing El Commandante Jotabs Teves (Mabuhay ka!)
-Nalito na naman ako kay Ms. Tayag at Ms. Torres - sino nga ulit sa dalawa yung talentado manggaya ng pusa at pikachu character?
-Dakilang marshall: RC
-Munggo ladies: Ms. Laforteza and Ms. Frias
-Salamat sa 2 magagandang binibining kasabay ko papunta sa ecopark - may mapa pala muntik pa tayong maligaw
-Cheer leader award: Tin Tecson
-Dance instructor award: Mr. Baldres (quack-quack)
-Ms. Camz, 'di po ako nakatikim ng adobo :(
-Ms. mahinhin-pero-masikhay award: Ms. Dyan Elefan
-Future PDA scholar Val, 'di kita nakita.
-Malungkot ako kasi hindi natuloy ang 'DREAM COME TRUE' (LPS) :)
Sunday, December 14, 2008
- 'development community' = network of people professionally concerned with development (Colin Leys)
- invisible hand = allots fortune (winners) and misfortune (losers) to people
- power = ability to get others to do what they otherwise wouldn't do (Robert Dahl)
- imperialist wars = hegemonic wars
- input = sangkap
- output = produkto
- gahum = hegemony
- kontra-gahum = counter-hegemony
- mini-depression, great recession = feel-good terms, to avoid comparisons with the calamitous impact of the Great Depression (Amado Doronila)
- Apolinario Mabini = first Philippine secretary of foreign affairs (1898)
- overseas Filipino workers = overseas Filipino investors (in recognition of their contribution to the Philippine economy)
Saturday, December 13, 2008
- Simpleng mag-aaral ng kasaysayan lamang
- doon nagsisimula at doon din natatapos (walang pakialam, lutang at baog)
- Mag-aaral ng kasaysayan kakampi ang uring nagsasamantala (kaaway)
- Mag-aaral ng kasaysayan at aktibong nakikibahagi sa panlipunang pagbabago upang bumuo ng bagong kasaysayan kaisa ang uring pinagsasamtalahan (mapagpalaya)
Friday, December 12, 2008
- Study the article compilation on Philippine economy, politics and culture (55 pages).
Ms. Mangulabnan/Ms. Arquiza, please facilitate the photocopying of the materials.
- Prepare for a long exam about the compilation on Jan. 7 (W) before you present your group's human rights situationer. Bring a blue book.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
- Nagkakaisang Bansa = United Nations
- sovereignty = supreme power
- IKS* = http://www.gdnet.org/pdf2/africa_program/1.3_Marc_Steinlin.ppt
- positive deviance = http://www.positivedeviance.org/
- filibustering = http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/82143.stm
- parliamentary sovereignty = http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/laws/sovereignty.cfm
- anachronism = http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anachronism
*forwarded by Joanna Marie Azarraga
- Cory = +7 (Nov. '90) - due to massive black-outs
- FVR = +1 (Oct. '95) - due to the execution of Flor Contemplacion
- Erap = +5 (Dec. '99 & Mar. '00) - due the plunder charge and impeachment trial
- GMA = -50% (July '08) - due to energy, rice, leadership and moral crises
- Nagbabala ang Nagkakaisang Bansa (UN) na mas lalala ang mga kaso ng paglabag sa karapatang pantao sa patuloy pagtindi ng pandaigdigang krisis pampinansya. - Mas lalong gigipitin ng mga nagsasamantala ang mga dati nang bulnerable sa lipunan tulad ng mga manggagawa, magsasaka at katutubo.
- Ayon sa UN, ang kahirapan ay parehong dahilan at epekto ng mga paglabag sa karapatang pantao. - vicious circularity
- Ayon pa rin sa UN, maraming mamamayan sa daigdig ang nananatiling mangmang ukol sa kanilang karapatang pantao. - Paano nila ipaglalaban ang isang bagay na hindi nila nauunawaan?
Biguin ang balak na Con-ASS ng mga kiss ASS (himod-tumbong) na kaalyado ni Hitlerina!
Itinakda ng Konstitusyon na "ang ganap na kapangyarihan ay angkin ng sambayanan at nagmumula sa kanila ang lahat ng mga awtoridad ng gobyerno."
-Andrew Weil, M.D.
DS 100 (Q&A Primer III on Philippine Constitution - National Economy, Patrimony, Social Justice, Human Rights and Education)
- Abris (Art. 12, Sec. 1)
- Alfonso (Art. 12, Sec. 2)
- Ang (Art. 12, Sec. 3)
- Balicsa (Art. 12, Sec. 4)
- Bautista (Art. 12, Sec. 5)
- Bejasa (Art. 12, Sec. 6)
- Bucog (Art. 12, Sec. 7)
- Burgos (Art. 12, Sec. 8)
- Cabiao (Art. 12, Sec. 9)
- Caraan (Art 12, Sec. 10)
- Caspe (Art. 12, Sec. 11)
- Cesar (Art. 12, Sec. 12)
- Conferido (Art. 12, Sec. 13)
- Cortes (Art. 12, Sec. 14)
- Cortey (Art. 12, Sec. 15)
- Cruz, F. (Art. 12, Sec. 16)
- Cruz, L. (Art. 12, Sec. 17)
- Cruz, P. (Art. 12, Sec. 18)
- Galang (Art. 12, Sec. 19)
- Gomez (Art. 12, Sec. 20)
- Hermosa (Art. 12, Sec. 21)
- Jalina (Art. 12, Sec. 22)
- Lugay (Art. 13, Sec. Sec. 1-2)
- Mabansag (Art. 13, Sec. 3)
- Macasinag (Art. 13, Sec. 4)
- Mendoza (Art. 13, Sec. 5)
- Rendon (Art. 13, Sec. 6)
- Roa (Art. 13, Sec. 7)
- Santos (Art. 13, Sec. 8)
- Santuele (Art. 13, Sec. 9)
- Soliza (Art. 13, Sec. 10)
- Tayag (Art. 13, Sec. 11-13)
- Tenorio (Art. 13, Sec. 14)
- Tesio (Art. 13, Sec. 15-16)
- Torres (Art. 13, Sec. 17)
- Villaceran (Art. 13, Sec. 18-19)
- Yang (Art. 14, Sec. 1-2)
same instruction as the previous primers; submission: Jan. 13
- DS 100 - discussion and exam on social development models and theories by Alfonzo Guzman
- DS 112 - discussion and exam on international relations (readings to be provided on Dec. 12)
- DS 125 - lecture-discussion on http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2008/nov/04/yehey/opinion/20081104opi6.html
and reporting on food poverty (Bautista, Bermejo and Camunay) - 30 minutes, with hand-outs
- DS 121 - lecture-discussion on http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=20081122-173721
- GMA = Hitlerina
- hard-up = kapos, hikahos
- fascism = asserts that government is at its best when government is totalitarian (E. Grigsby)
- body, mind and spirit = 3 components/dimensions of the whole person
- affirmative action = "positive steps taken to increase the representation of women and minorities in areas of employment, education, and business from which they have been historically excluded" (Source: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/affirmative-action/)
- ethnocide (killing of culture) = development aggression (e.g. TNC mining) + state terrorism ( militarization)
- kaparaanan ng batas = due process of law = 2 aspects of due process: procedural (method and manner) and substantive (fair and reasonable)
- PD 1177 = automatic appropriations act = http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2008/dec/10/yehey/opinion/20081210opi4.html
- Twin crises of finance and food = http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2008/nov/04/yehey/opinion/20081104opi6.html
- rail tourism = http://www.gmanews.tv/story/138433/LRT-MRT-to-offer-rail-tours-to-boost-revenues
Top 10 public agencies with the poorest rating in terms of net sincerity in fighting corruption (SWS Oct. '08)
- Bureau of Customs
- House of Representatives
- Activist church - present but not solid and strong enough
- Torrent of mass protest - present but intermittent
- Poverty and hunger - widespread and worsening
- Corruption scandals (scamdinavia) - rampant and unresolved
- Net popularity - subzero
- Military withdrawal of support - small faction only and detained
- United opposition - none
- Viable alternative - none/yet to emerge
- Identified leader - none/yet to emerge
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
- staycation = http://www.time.com/time/specials/2008/top10/article/0,30583,1855948_1864100_1864106,00.html
- political compass = http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
- 10 questions for Mr. Bean = http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1655712,00.html
- Atienza's hirit = http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=20081209-176994
- Pamintuan vs. Domingo (Indonesia)
- Fabon vs. Dacanay (Thailand)
- Magdaong vs. Pagdonsolan (Vietnam)
- Manalastas and Cruz (Singapore)
- Sz vs. Abesames (East Timor)
- Montenegro vs. Lodrono (China)
- Talal vs. Manalac (India)
- Joson vs. Lao (South Korea)
- Bersola vs. Villanueva (North Korea)
- Orejola vs. De Sagun (Japan)
- Reyes vs. Blasco (Myanmar)
Submission: Ponsaran's pigeon hole inside DSS, Dec. 15, Monday (11:30 AM)
Instruction: Q&A Primer, Filipino, handwritten, yellow pad
Format: title, byline, definition of sovereignty, 5 Q&A, sources (book and online sources)
- DS 100 - discussion and LPS on Magpantay's material; submission of the 2nd Q&A Primer
- DS 112 - LPS on Casanova's Third World Definition; submission of the 2nd Q&A Primer
- DS 125 - no session* but you're required to watch Peace Ngayon, War Bukas: Pwede ba 'Yon by MC Ferrer http://centennial.lectures.upm.edu.ph/UP_Centennial_Lecture_Series/ferrer.html
- DS 121 - no session* but you're required to write a Q&A Primer (5 questions) on Age Stratification (handwritten, yellow pad) and submit it to me on Dec. 12 (F) at 11:20 inside DSS.
*dadalo ako sa kilos-protesta
- dela Cruz (DS 112) = Evaluate the UP Third World Studies Center website.
- Villamora (DS 112) = Evaluate the www.yonip.com.
- Rico Santos (DS 125) = highest scorer (19/25), which entitles him to a 0.25 final grade incentive
- NSTP II = No session on Dec. 10. Write a position paper in Filipino about any of the following local policy issues: medical tourism, agrarian reform, political party reform, recommissioning of the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant, repeal of the automatic appropriations act, debt cap, farm land as collateral bill, lemon law, lifting of citizenship restriction in owning lands, decriminalization of libel, decriminalization of vagrancy, agritourism bill, mining act of 1995, cheap medicines law, creation of DICT, fair elections law, and UP charter. Write it in a yellow pad and submit it to me on Friday, 11:20 am at the DSS. Please inform the rest.
Sunday, December 07, 2008
Mom: Ha?!? Eto P500, 'wag mo lang sabihin sa Dad mo.
Anak: Dad, I know the truth!
Dad: Ha?!? Eto P1000,'wag ka lang maingay sa Mom mo.
Anak: (OK pala 'to. Subukan ko nga kay Yaya) Yaya, I know the truth!
Inday: Sa wakas! Yakapin mo ako, anak!!!!!
- Consumer segments and product categories =
- Economic help to household =
- Survey on access to court justice =
- recession = negative GDP for 2 consecutive quarters, usually accompanied by high unemployment
- recession = "significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in production, employment, real income and other indicators" (Source: U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research)
- depression = prolonged and severe form of recession
- "great recession" = a feel-good term, to avoid comparisons with the calamitous impact of the Great Depression (Source: Amando Doronila, PDI Editorial Consultant)
- 2009 global economic forecast = http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=20081208-176690
- crisis = a crucial stage or turning point in the course of something; "after the crisis the patient (or the economy) either dies (collapses) or gets better"
Saturday, December 06, 2008
- "Change the usurper, not the Charter." - Conrado de Quiros
- "Second-hand smoke from cigarettes is a form of violence against women."
- tobacco control advocates
- "Baog ang teorya kung hindi nilakipan ng praktika." - Mao Tse Tung
- ex-Chief Justice Panganiban on Cha-Cha =
- Popular Bookstore = http://www.popularbkstore.com/the-moro-reader.html
- Pacquiao, poverty and politics =
3 (oras/linggo) x 4 (linggo) = 12 oras
Samakatwid, 12 (oras) x 4 (buwan) = 48 oras sa kabuuan = 2 araw
Paano pa kung madalas lumiban ang guro o estudyante?
Bawasan o iwasan ang pagliban sa klase.
Aralin ang mga takdang babasahin
at iba pang materyales na may kaugnayan sa kurso.
Dumalo ng mga sampaksaan (symposium).
- According to Keith Suter, "economic development creates middle class."
- "Persuading a satisfied customer to return is cheaper than attracting a new one."
(a business adage reiterated by Emily Steel, The Wall Street Journal)
- Maralitang tagalunsod = “kinabibilangan ng mga manggagawa at mala-manggagawa na dumaranas ng matinding kahirapan; lumalaking bilang ng mga mamamayang walang trabaho o regular na hanapbuhay; naninirahan sa mapapanganib na mga lugar gaya ng tabing riles, tambakan ng basura, ilalim ng tulay, estero, nakatiwangwang na lupa o kaya’y sa mga komunidad na kapos sa mga pasilidad at serbisyong panlipunan"
(Batis: Kadamay, Pinoy Weekly)
- Conditional cash transfer = http://www3.pids.gov.ph/ris/eid/pidseid0703.pdf
- Aging = http://services.inquirer.net/print/print.php?article_id=20081122-173721
- IKS = http://www.unescobkk.org/fileadmin/user_upload/apeid/Conference/ppt/ricarte_PPT.pdf
- politics of appointment = http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2008/dec/07/yehey/opinion/20081207opi1.html
- Past Philippine Vice-Presidents = http://www.gov.ph/aboutphil/OVP.htm
- Incumbent Cabinet officials (click to view their profile) = http://www.op.gov.ph/cabinet.asp
- Incumbent Senators (click to view their profile) = http://www.senate.gov.ph/senators/sen14th.asp
- Progressive panatang makabayan = http://www.yonip.com/archives/misc/misc-11-26-2008.html
Friday, December 05, 2008
- Abris (Domingo Salita)
- Alfonso (Leothiny Clavel)
- Ang (Leonor Briones)
- Balicsa (Franciso Nemenzo)
- Bautista (Victoria Bautista)
- Bejasa (Onofre Corpuz)
- Bucog (Ledivina Cariño)
- Burgos (Jocelyn Cuaresma)
- Cabiao (Bienvenido Lumbera)
- Caraan (Antonio Tujan)
- Caspe (Alejandro Lichauco)
- Cesar (Romeo Ocampo)
- Conferido (Reynaldo Imperial)
- Cortes (Mila Reforma)
- Cortey (Raul de Guzman)
- Cruz, F. (Virgilio Enriquez)
- Cruz, L. (Cesar Adib Majul)
- Cruz, P. (Jose Ma. Sison)
- Galang (Randy David)
- Gomez (Roland Simbulan)
- Hermosa (Tereso Tullao)
- Jalina (Thelma Kintanar)
- Lugay (Renato Constantino)
- Mabansag (Nestor Pilar)
- Macasinag (Edberto Villegas)
- Mendoza (Celestina Boncan)
- Rendon (Raul Segovia)
- Roa (Virgilio Almario)
- Santos (Walden Bello)
- Santuele (Bernard Karganilla)
- Soliza (Zeus Salazar)
- Tayag (Josefina Tayag)
- Teneorio (Alex Brillantes)
- Tesio (Bernardo Villegas)
- Torres (Jaime Veneracion)
- Villaceran (Fatima Castillo)
- Yang (Elmer Ordoñez)
-Develop a Q&A primer based on any book or book chapter authored by the scholar assigned to you.
-Same instruction as the previous output (yellow pad, hand-written, Filipino)
-Strictly book sources only; cite properly including the page and call number
-Materials are available at the CAS library.
-Submit the primer on Dec. 12 (F).
- revert (balik-Islam) = Muslim's term for convert (They believe that all people are born Muslims)
- Fourth world = minority population within nation-states (source: Globalization by Keith Suter)
- globalization = erosion of national boundaries and the reduced significance of national government (source: Keith Suter)
- prohibited acts pertainting to the Philippine flag =
- Advani (Encyclopedia of Bioethics)
- Angeles (Bioethics)
- Baldres (Bioethics)
- Baquiran (Bioethics)
- Bautista (Bioethics)
- Belgira (Bioethics)
- Bruselas (Encyclopedia of Popular Culture)
- Caranto (Pop Culture)
- Cauton (Pop Culture)
- Concepcion (Pop Culture)
- Cruz (Pop Culture)
- Dela Cruz (Pop Culture)
- Duqiatan (Reader's Digest KASAYSAYAN)
- Eguico (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Elefan (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Fernandez (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Francisco (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Gamao (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Hechanova (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Hermosa (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Honrade (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Javier (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Lara (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Lopez (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Martinez (RD's KASAYSAYAN)
- Mayoca (Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- Meneses (Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- Onanad (Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- Politud (Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- Rosales (Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- Tan (Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- Tecson (Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences)
- Villamora (Encyclopedia of Bioethics)
- Villanueva, K. (Bioethics)
- Villanueva, S. (Bioethics)
- Yang (Bioethics)
- Yasay (Bioethics)
-Develop a Q&A primer based on any subtopic of your choice from the assigned source. Avoid duplication.
-Same instruction as the previous output (yellow pad, hand-written, Filipino)
-Strictly book sources only; cite properly including the page and call number
-Materials are available in the reference section of the CAS library.
-Submit the primer on Dec. 12 (F)
- DS 100 - argument for (Abris) vs. argument against (Alfonso) Magpantay's paper - 10 minutes each
- DS 112 - report on Sen's Development as Freedom (Advani and Angeles)* - 30 minutes
- DS 125 - report on Indigenous Knowledge Systems (Alfonso, Arroyo, Azarraga)* - 30 minutes
- DS 121 - round table discussion on age stratification
*provide hand-outs (1/2 lengthwise, front page only)
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
- Pia on Cha-Cha and PD 1177 = http://www.senate.gov.ph/press_release/2008/1204_cayetano2.asp
- Working for Working Mothers (WOW Mothers) =
- BuCor = http://www.bucor.gov.ph/
- FAQ about labor standards = http://www.dole.gov.ph/faq/searchcat.asp?program=P009
- recession, weak peso, job losses = http://www.mbc.com.ph/pressStatements/2008_11%20Nov.htm
- business of education = http://www.mbc.com.ph/about_mbc/archive-announcements/2008/de%20jesus.htm
- business of migration =
- China into the future = http://www.mbc.com.ph/about_mbc/archive-announcements/2008/hofman.htm
- Think Global, Act Global =
- ultimate fighting (mabilisan lang ang mga labanan)
- professional wrestling (scripted kaya hindi kasing panganib)
- football (hindi kasing sakit kumpara sa mga suntok na tatanggapin ng katawan sa boxing)
Lampas isang linggong masama ang pakiramdam ko.
Sinabayan ko ng mga sumusunod (ethnomedicine)
ang mga gamot (biomedicine) na inireseta ng doktor.
- malunggay tea
- saline gargle
- water therapy
*cousin of Atty. Karol Baguilat
- Sponsoring organization: KATRIBU (Kabataan para sa Tribung Pilipino)
- Project: Paskuhan sa Tribu (outreach program in an indigenous community)
- Beneficiary: Aggay indigenous community (Municipality of Abulog, Cagayan)
Options: rice/munggo/canned goods/noodles/toys/old clothes
1st year: to be collected on Friday (Dec. 5) by Ms. Mangulabnan and Ms. Detros
2nd year: to be collected on Friday (Dec. 5) by Ms. Ang and Mr. Alfonso
3rd year: to be collected on Friday (Dec. 5) by Ms. Cauton and Mr. Onanad
4th year: to be collected on Friday (Dec. 5) by Ms. Teves and Ms. Rodriguez
Please inform the rest.
- DS 100 (F) - exam on Kambhampati's Development and the World
- DS 112 (F) - lecture-discussion on the Philippine national political situationer
- DS 125 (F) - exam on UN HDR's Cultural liberty in today's diverse world
- DS 121 (F) - ACLE on Axel Pinpin's poetry
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
in exchange for globalism - a veil for global capitalist ends.
Thus the only real substitute for patriotism is not the higher importance of the entire world, but the higher purpose of upholding human rights vis-a-vis when one's own country is in the wrong.
I am reminded of the great American humorist when he chose to be a "traitor" to his country in support of the more righteous cause of fighting U.S. imperialism.
*a graduate of UP Manila's Development Studies Program
and a graduating student of DLSU-Manila's MA in Development Policy
- "One who is aware of what's going on around him and tries to make a positive difference."
-Atty. Ismael Khan, Supreme Court
- "A global citizen is a national of any country."
-UP Board of Regent Nelia Gonzales
- "A person whose sense of community transcends the limits dictated by concepts such as statehood, nationalism, regionalism, and creed to embrace the world with all its pluralities of "smaller worlds", coupled by a sense of connectivity between the world as a giant organism and the irreplaceable role of each individual as part of this giant organism."
-Prof. Jose Alain Austria, School of Multidisciplinary Studies, DLS-CSB
- "Taong kumikilala, gumagalang, pinapahalagahan at pinoproteksyunan ang karapatang pantao ng lahat."
-makabayang Senador Wigberto Tañada
- "A citizen who is in his mind is living in a borderless world."
-Communicologist Carol Pulumbarit
- "A person with national identity, but outreaches to other nation's people in common we-feeling or as in-group."
-Sociologist Erle-Frayne Argonza
- "We now live in a global village, especially with the onset of globalization.
In many significant ways, every national is now a global citizen."
-Ambassador Lauro Baja