Thursday, October 30, 2008
May isang semestre pa ngang umabot hanggang gabi (4-7).
12 oras na kayod-kalabaw sa kabuuan. Totoo, mahirap kumita ng pera.
Hindi ako tumanggap ng klase tuwing Sabado ngayong darating na semestre - para maiba.
Pero tiyak na maninibago ako.
Samakatwid, tuwing Martes (8:30-2:30), Miyerkules (9-4) at Biyernes (8:30-2:30)
lamang ako magkakapaghasik ng lagim at kasamaan sa Faura.
Happy halloween nga pala!
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
- Mr. C. Fajardo (community doctor)
- Miss C. Rodriguez (librarian/teacher/DepEd secretary)
- Miss M. Solano (litigation lawyer/actress)
- Miss J. Ejercito (news reporter/documentarist)
- Mrs. M. Alcazaren (proprietor)
- Miss A.Gagarin (project manager/events organizer)
- Miss J. Bangit (reformist in the Internal Revenue Bureau)
- Mr. R. Go (professor)
- Miss L. Eguico (corporate lawyer)
- Mr. A. Murillo (New York Times editor-in-chief)
- Mr. J. dela Cruz (professor)
- Miss A. Catsao (legislative staff/legislator's chief of staff)
- Miss E. Buenaventura (archeologist)
- Miss Z. Reburiano (ambassador/graphic artist)
- Mr. N. Cruz (game reviewer)
- Miss. M. de Guzman (lawyer)
- It's quite expensive on the part of the government (read: taxpayers' money) to arrest, take custody, prosecute, try and convict high-profile criminals. Ninakawan na nga tayo, ginagastusan pa ng labis-labis mula sa kabang-bayan.
- Sen. Pimentel's federalism proposal is well-intentioned but its implementation is suspicious and unacceptable under GMA's presidency and the incumbent leadership of the interior and local government department.
- I wonder who's in charge of drafting (Bola)nte's script.
Isang kawani ng pamahalaan ang nagpahayag ng matinding pagkadismaya sa isa sa mga proyektong kontra-korapsyon ng kanilang opisina. Layunin ng proyektong sanayin ang mga opisyal ng ibang ahensya upang paigtingin ng pamahalaan ang laban sa katiwalian. Malaking pondo ang inilaan para sa proyektong ito pero hindi raw kakikitaan ng anumang malasakit, sigasig at interes ang mga nagpartisipa. Kung hindi raw natutulog ay nagtetext lang. Nanghihinayang siya sa pondo at panahon. Sa totoo lang, (sadyang) maaksaya ang pamahalaan.
Maaksaya dahil maraming bigong proyekto.
Maaksaya dahil mahilig sa hindi naman kailangang mga ritwal (laganap kahit sa pamantasan).
Maaksaya dahil di-episyente.
Maaksaya dahil maraming tiwali at walang pananagutan.
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
sa ibang bayan. Kumikita nga ngunit nasasadlak naman sa pang-aabuso at pang-aapi."
-Prof. Joan Salvador
National Spokesperson, GABRIELA
Lecturer, UP Manila Department of Social Sciences
- Erap-for-president in 2010 will only divide the already divided opposition.
- Philippine politics is more exciting with Miriam's active and animated participation.
- A student's GWA doesn't reflect the totality of the his/her competence.
- According to a book author, ambition should be premised on ability.
- Civil society lawyer Harry Roque is correct when he said that Joc-Joc Bolante is "afraid of his own shadow."
- The public suspects that Joc-Joc "fertilized" Gloria 2004 presidential bid through the fertilizer fund.
- Poor vision is the leading case of disability in the Philippines.
Balimbing in great amounts could be toxic to the kidneys.
Water is the best drink. If he wants teas, he should take these once in a while.
Again variety and moderation are the key to good nutrition."
an e-mail reply from
Prof. Isidro C. Sia, MD, MSc, PhD
Professor of Pharmacology
College of Medicine
University of the Philippines Manila
Monday, October 27, 2008
Sagot (Dean Virgilio Almario) - Walang masama sa mag-imbento. Pero parang mahirap nang palitan ang demokrasya. Maliban kung ang likha ay may ibig ipahiwatig na demokrasyang Filipino. Ang mga Bikolano ay may silag para sa transparent. Maganda ang kitaninag para sa translucent. Pero baka may luma nang salita ang mga Tagalog o ang ibang wikang katutubo.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
- Capacity building would obviously be much broader than capability building with the latter almost restricted to focusing on individuals.
- Capacity building - and better still capacity development - focuses its analysis on improvement at various levels - from the policy, to organizational, institutional, structural (including intergovernmental), and individual and behavioral levels.
an e-mail reply from
Dean Alex A. Brillantes Jr, PhD
NCPAG UP Diliman
- DS 100 (Development Theories)
- DS 112 (Third World Studies)
- DS 121 (Poverty and Underdevelopment)
- DS 125 (International Relations)
- DS 126 (Politico-Administrative Institutions and Behavior)
- NSTP (Public Policy)
Nothing is permanent, only transactional. Malupit humatol ang kasaysayan.
*granting favors or giving contracts or making appointments to office in return for political support (wordnet.princeton.edu)
Killer: Father, mangungumpisal po ako.
Father: Ano ba ang kasalanan mo?
Killer: Pumatay po ako ng 20 tao?
Father: Ha? Bakit?
Killer: Kasi po naniniwala sila sa Diyos, kayo po ba naniniwala rin?
Father: Dati...pero ngayon e trip-trip na lang...
Friday, October 24, 2008
Thursday, October 23, 2008
- "Who said you need to have ice cream to have a happy birthday?" - Prof. R. David
- "Mahirap kapag apat ang anak." - research staff
- "Ang kagandahan ay lumilipas.
Pero kung pangit na talaga lalo pang papangit sa paglipas ng panahon." - D
- "You may not compel a person to work for a company involuntarily -
that would amount to involuntary servitude." - Atty. Soriano
- "Financial oligarchs are bloodsuckers." - Nono Aunor
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
A (Prof. R. David) - Only from the perspective of science. is a field of science and operates only on the basis of the facts as measured by available .
pang wala kaysa sa kanyang estudyanteng pinakatalamak lumiban sa klase.
Wala rin siyang karapatang magbigay ng mababang grado sa isinumiteng papel ng
kanyang estudyante kung hindi naman niya ito pinag-ukulan ng panahong basahin."
- Nono Aunor, 19, mahilig sa ginataang bilu-bilo, tamad mag-aral pero hindi lumiliban sa klase
*dayuhan at lokal
What makes sense is to have balanced meal always - variety of food eaten in moderation.
Of course we should lessen intake of the salty, fatty, and sweet foods."
an e-mail reply from
Prof. Isidro C. Sia, MD, MSc, PhD
Professor of Pharmacology
College of Medicine
University of the Philippines Manila
Monday, October 20, 2008
Sunday, October 19, 2008
- PGMA calls GMA-7 a "tukayo". Malas!
- Student Assistants deserve a higher salary increase. UP may generate the fund by imposing salary deductions to absentee professors! Malaking halaga 'yon 'pag nagkataon!
- According to a saying, one should have written a book, planted a tree, and raised a child in his/her lifetime. In the age of (post)modernity, some people may disagree with it.
- I wonder if anyone has already done a study on the patterns of lifestyle-related illnesses afflicting the pioneering batch of call center agents since the BPO's inception in the late 90's. Of particular interest are the ones assigned during night shifts.
- Development Studies subjects (DS 100, DS 111, DS 112, DS 121, DS 122, DS 127)
- Economics subjects (Econ 11, Econ 101, Econ 102, Econ 109, Econ 115)
- Social Science subjects (PS 11, PS 14, Socio 101, Psych 101, Anthro I, PI 100, Philo 11, SocSci 120)
- Research subjects (SocSci Res, DS 199.1, DS 199.2)
- Management subjects (DS 151, DS 152, DS 128)
- 3 DS Electives (Options: DS 123, DS 124, DS 125, DS 126, DS 128, DS 140)
- 3 Cognates (Options: other higher Econ, PS, AS, Socio, Anthro, History, Psych subjects)
- Practicum (DS 190)
- RGEP (SSP, AH, MST, PE)
- Defenders of capitalism say that it's a resilient economic system. Let's see.
- Dr. Ed Villegas defines political economy as the interaction between the substructure (economics) and the superstructure (ideology, politics, legal system, culture, and religion).
- People, place, time, narrative, and interpretation are the 5 elements of history.
By and large, interpretation is the most debatable.
- Student absenteeism is penalized by teachers either through deductions or reprimand.
To be fair, what do we do with absentee professors?
- Juniors, you may start shortlisting possible thesis topics.
- On its own, the proposed Reproductive Health and Population Development Act of 2008 won't solve the problem of poverty and underdevelopment in the country instantly but it's a step to the right direction. It should not be held in isolation from other pro-poor social and economic legislations. Poverty eradication should be an integrated approach.
- On Wall Street vs. Main Street: Doc Ed clarified that the "Wall Street" pertains to the greedy corporate oligarchs in the financial system while the "Main Street" refers to the unsuspecting public who invests their hard-earned money in stocks of big corporations.
- UP should offer a subject on Philippine Government and Constitution as part of its RGEP. Other public and private colleges and universities incorporate it in all their course curricula. It is possibly one of the reasons why many UP students have grown apathetic to local and global socio-political issues.
- For obvious reasons, GMA is not honest enough to hold her administration accountable for most of the problems that beset our people. She instead blames it to her political enemies, the communist insurgency, and the global crisis.
Friday, October 17, 2008
ay nagbibigay ng pagkakataon sa mga tao na malayang makapamili.
Masasabi bang may kalayaan ka sa pagpili kung halimbawa'y ang mga pelikulang nakalinya sa takilya ay pare-pareho ng katangian (escapist, individualist, decadent, colonial). Kung magkagayon, ano na lang ang batayan ng pagpili - kung ano ang mas nakakakilig, kung ano ang mas jologs, kung ano ang mas maraming iluluha, kung ano ang mas malibog, kung ano ang mas madaming artistang gumanap, kung ano ang wala gaanong manonood para makalaplapan ang ka-date, ano na?"
-himutok ni Melba Pasangkrus, may assignment na film review at pamangkin ni Poldo
Thursday, October 16, 2008
- Insurance companies are trying to regain public's trust through aggressive advertisements. In their business, trust is the most important consideration.
- Noli's "play safe" disposition may backfire on him in 2010 polls.
- Tarpaulin mentality now dominates most people's/organization's image building agenda.
- The US is adamant in pursuing its transition plan for Cuba in order to facilitate a regime change from socialism to liberal democracy. Cuba however remains resolute in staying along the socialist path.
- It took the university almost the entire semester before it was finally able to pay my salary. The experience made me a better teacher of poverty concepts.
- To all my students this semester: rest and recharge
- Consumers are now extra careful in buying local or foreign products with milk ingredient.
- I'll try cooking Bicol express next week for a change.
- Filipinos in the labor-intensive sector are becoming more dependent on inexpensive energy drinks to sustain their daily level of productivity.
- According to WB's Robert Zoelick, "September and October are shaping up to be hard months in a precarious year."
- Whoever GMA endorses in 2010 will surely doom his/her chances of winning the presidency - a kiss of death, so to speak.
- Critical understanding of international relations is imperative for any global citizen.
- Given the opportunity, I want to teach in PUP, PLM, PNU, or CSU.
- Montano isn't a good gameshow host and he wouldn't have also been a good senator.
- The people's daily grueling struggle to subsist makes some of them feel uncomfortable to even hear Christmas jingles. I share their sentiment.
- Many students live a lifestyle beyond the means of their parents. Maaawa naman.
- DOST researcher revealed that "Filipino children live a sedentary lifestyle".
- I haven't watch any episode of Channel 2's Kalye: Mga Kwento ng Lansangan. But I hope it isn't the typical TV program which only features interesting "micro-stories" but devoid of meaningful call to action and where reporters pretend to be amateur anthropologists (at puro pagpapacute o kunyari naaawa sa kanilang kinakapanayam)
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Hindi ako sang-ayong ipatupad ito sa Bundok Puting Bato.
Pero hindi rin ako sang-ayon sa mga mapagsamantalang guro na mas madami pa ang pagliban sa klase kaysa sa ipinasok (noon mang mga nakaraang semestre o hanggang sa kasalukuyan).
Ang mungkahi ko ay pagbatayan ang student evaluation.
May katanungan dito ukol sa dalas ng pagliban ng guro sa klase.
Mataas na ang matrikula (at pamasahe) ngayon.
Ang malimit na pagliban sa klase ay insulto sa mga mag-aaral.
Mas malaking insulto kung walang abiso, walang kinalaman sa asignatura
at hindi mahalaga ang dahilan ng pagliban.
Given the availability of fund, I intend to make it a regular class activity every year.
Salamat sa kooperasyon.
- "destabilizers" = an invective used by GMA to describe her oppositors
- Joker Arroyo's reaction to the 8-7 SC ruling on MOA-AD = “A change of one vote changes the picture. The SC was sharply divided and it could pose more problems in the future. A change of one vote would make the minority opinion the majority decision, and conversely, the minority decision would become a dissenting opinion.” (PDI)
- UNESCO = http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=3328&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html
- fence-sitters = somebody who takes a position of neutrality or indecision, especially in a contentious issue (thefreedictionary.com)
- globalization = worldwide interconnectivity
- legalese = technical language in courts/law profession
- discourse = institutionalized pattern of thinking/system of thought
(e.g. feminist discourse, political discourse, globalization discourse)
- postmodernism = contends that truth is fluid, plural and contextual
- meaningless growth = compound effect of jobless growth, ruthless growth, rootless growth, futureless growth and voiceless growth
ng mga suliraning panlipunan. May tatlong dahilan.
Una, ang karamihan ay lumulutang lamang sa teorya.
Ikalawa, ang ilang may mabuting intensyon para sa bayan ay binubusalan o ginigipit.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
- Use a notebook with 100 sheets/leaves.
- Focus on socio-economic, socio-political, and socio-cultural issues.
- Use a dictionary or a textbook to define unfamiliar words/concepts.
- Write a brief reaction at the end of every entry.
- Incorporate the social commentaries of others (your peers, parents, etc.).
- Fold each sheet into two in order to maximize the space (back to back).
- Use sentence outline format.
- Write legibly.
- Identify the sources.
- Submit it on Nov. 12 (Wed), our first NSTP 2 session.
- Please inform the rest.
*NSTP 2 will be held every Wednesday afternoon (1-4 pm) next semester, room TBA
- DS 100 (Introduction to Development Theories) TF 8:30a-10:00a Lec RH-229 PONSARAN
- DS 112 (Development in the Third World) TF 11:30a-1:00p Lec GAB-301B PONSARAN
- DS 121 (Study of Philippine Underdevelopment) TF 2:30p-4:00p Lec GAB-301B VILLEGAS
- DS 122 (Philippine Development Strategies) TF 4:00p-5:30p Lec GAB-306 VILLEGAS
- DS 125 (Internat'l Aspects of Philippine & 3rd World Dev't) TF 1:00p-2:30p Lec GAB-301A PONSARAN
- DS 126 (Politico-Administrative Institution & Behavior) MTh 5:30p-7:00p Lec RH-119 WACNANG
- DS 126 (Politico-Administrative Institution & Behavior) TF 4:00p-5:30p Lec GAB-206 SIMBULAN
- DS 126 (Politico-Administrative Institution & Behavior) W 9:00a-12:00p Lec RH-119 PONSARAN
- DS 128 (Human Resource Development) MTh 7:00p-8:30p Lec RH-119 WACNANG
- DS 128 (Human Resource Development) S 9:00a-12:00p Lec RH-119 BAGUILAT
- DS 128 (Human Resource Development) S 1:00p-4:00p Lec RH-119 BAGUILAT
- DS 152 (Program Implementation & Project Management) S 9:00a-12:00p Lec RH-229 CLAVEL
- DS 199.2 (Research Methods II) TF 5:30p-7:00a Lec RH-118 VILLEGAS
- DS 199.2 (Research Methods II) W 4:00p-7:00p Lec RH-220 SIMBULAN
- ECON 101 (Macroeconomic Theory & Policy) MTh 8:00a-10:00a Lec GAB-301A ARCILLA
- ECON 101 (Macroeconomic Theory & Policy) MTh 10:00a-12:00p Lec GAB-301A ARCILLA
- ECON 102 (Microeconomics) MTh 8:00a-10:00a Lec GAB-308 TUVERA
- ECON 109 (History of Economic Doctrines) W 1:00p-4:00p Lec RH-228 SIMBULAN
- ECON 11 (Introductory Economics) MTh 10:00a-11:30a Lec GAB-208 TUVERA
- ECON 11 (Introductory Economics) W 9:00a-12:00p Lec RH-229 SEVILLA JR
- ECON 116 (The Economies of Asia) MTh 1:00p-2:30p Lec GAB-301A TUVERA
- ECON 121 (Money & Banking) W 1:00p-4:00p Lec RH-119 SEVILLA JR
- ECON 141 (International Trade) MTh 1:00p-2:30p Lec GAB-308 ARCILLA
- ECON 151 (Government Finance) W 9:00a-12:00p Lec RH-227 TUVERA
- ECON 191 (Development Economics) MTh 4:00p-5:30p Lec RH-119 ARCILLA
Favorable to her
-Opposition in the Lower House is less than 30.
-Her husband remains "active".
Unfavorable to her
-SC upheld the CA ruling linking Palparan to the abduction of Manalo brothers.
-Opposition filed its 4th impeachment complaint.
-SC ruled that GRP-MILF ancestral domain deal is unconstitutional (8 vs. 7).
-Senate remains opposition-dominated.
-Despite being a GMA appointee, Chief Justice Puno is independent-minded.
-Her net satisfaction rating is -28%.
-Most presidential aspirant in 2010 are oppositionists.
-Lakas-CMD has yet to identify its standard bearer in 2010 polls.
- uncertainty, greed, exploitation = dynamics of corporate-led globalization
- 6 out of 10 = number of Americans who aren't confident that they will have sufficient money to last through retirement due to the credit crunch according to a recent survey (The Washington Post)
- preventive cardiology = better approach to heart ailments
- smoking cessation = efforts to quit smoking
Isang tagpo sa isang pampribadong pamantasan malapit sa SM...
Nangulekta ang (tiwaling) dalubguro ng donasyong de-lata sa kanyang mga (tiwalang) estudyante.
Para raw diumano ito sa mga katutubong nasalanta ng kalamidad - ito ang kanyang press release.
Marami-rami ang nagdala, bunga na rin marahil ng dagdag na puntos sa kanilang grado.
Kanyang dinala ang mga nakulekta sa isang silid kung saan nagpapahinga ang kanyang mga kapwa guro.
Dito ko nasaksihang pinaghiwalay niya ang mga carnenorte sa mga sardinas.
Sa halip na ibigay sa mga dapat paglalaanan nito, kanyang iniuwi ang mga carnenorte at ibinigay naman ang mga natirang sardinas sa isang (swerteng) janitor na nagkataong napadaan sa silid.
Napatulala lang ako sa aking nakita.
Monday, October 13, 2008
- Prof. R. Simbulan (Program Head)
- Dr. E. Villegas (Academic Coordinator)
- Prof. J. Ponsaran (DevSoc Adviser)
- Prof. C. Arcilla
- Prof. M. Tuvera
- Dr. L. Clavel
- Prof. S. Sevilla
- Atty. K. Baguilat
- Atty. Z. Wacnang
- risk aversion = investors who prefer low-risk but low-yield investments over high-risk but high yield options (also applicable in consumer behavior and psychology)
- LPG 11 kg tank = P587-P647 (Oct. 13, 2008)
- exploration = paggagalugad
- CSD = carbonated soft drinks (Note: CSD consumption is declining, even in US)
- G-shot = G-spot amplification (GSA)
- -27% = Gloria's SWS 3rd quarter net satisfaction rating
- 75,000 = number of squatter families in NCR, majority of whom live in danger zones such as waterways, roadways, and beneath bridges (source: MMDA, Malaya)
- CSER = corporate social and environmental responsibility
- Russia = largest country in terms of total area
- free exercise of religion = means more than just the freedom to believe, it also means the freedom to act or not to act according to what one believes (Fr. Joaquin Bernas, S.J.)
- top 5 destinations of Filipino domestic helpers = Hong Kong, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Lebanon (POEA, PDI)
- hygienic carabao/cow milk production (milk hygiene) = bathing the animal, disinfecting their teats before milking, putting milk in disinfected stainless containers, pasteurizing it at the correct temperature and other sanitary procedures before the milk is sold
(Philippine Carabao Center, PDI)
Sunday, October 12, 2008
"A net metering scheme is provided in the Renewable Energy Law, giving capable consumers the option to generate their own power, which in turn will give them the possibility of being paid by their power distributor or given discounts for the power they give back to the grid.
Net metering uses a special electricity meter, which is bi-directional — meaning the meter spins forward if more electricity is used than provided back to the grid, and backward if there is more electricity provided than used." - Ava Kashima K. Austria, Businessworld
- "Snoring is a cause not just of health worries but also of marital woes." (Time)
- "As anyone who has ever dieted knows, it's not losing the pounds that's hard — it's keeping them lost." (Time)
- " There isn't as much money to be made in prevention as in treatment of heart disease." (Time)
- "While some people underperceive fat, others overperceive it." (Time)
- "Dieters who kept a food diary lost twice as much weight as those who didn't." (American Journal of Preventive Medicine)
Friday, October 10, 2008
Hindi ito dapat maging suhol kapalit ng napakadalas na pagliban sa klase."
-Baldomero Magalpok, 82 anyos, taga-bundok, pinsan ni Poldo Pasangkrus
mapagmasid, malabo ang mata, at paborito ang pansit habhab kahit isang beses pa lang nakatikim nito
- Dr. Jaime Galvez-Tan (UP Medicine professor) = longitudinal research on the movement of health professionals from rural to urban and urban to abroad; national inventory of Filipino traditional healers; equities and inequities in the Philippine healthcare: past and current trends
- Prof. JPaul Manzanilla (UP Humanities professor) = history and memory: Martial law, EDSA people power
- Dr. Jocelyn del Mundo (UP Behavioral Science professor) = Filipino views on obesity; how teenagers cope with courtship rejection or absentee parents; why teens resort to frat violence
- Prof. Jercylene Velayo (English professor) = curricula in the Philippine educational system
- Regent Nelia Gonzalez (UP Board of Regents) = cancer
- Dr. Reynaldo Imperial (CAS Dean) = behavior vulnerabilities; health seeking behaviors and STDs
- Dr. Sheila Leynes (DOH) = status of healthcare delivery in DOH hospitals in NCR;
quality and safety in DOH hospitals
- Prof. Melissa Alcazaren (CSB Psychology professor) = learning processing disorder
- Mr. Reginald Vallejos (CENPEG researcher) = CARP effectiveness as a social justice tool
- Mr. Mike Wootton (Manila Times columnist) = private sector finance industry
- Ms. Lina Eguico (UP Development Studies student) = political economy of traffic congestion;
political economy of predatory criminality
- Prof. Danilo Arao (UP Journalism professor) = rate of exploitation across all economic sectors
- Prof. Carol Pulumbarit (UP Speech professor) = patients rights; maternal mortality rate
- Mr. Angelo Murillo (UP PolSci student) = violence brought about by video games
- Ms. Camille Rodriguez (UP DevStud student) = political economy of the Philippine education system
- Ms. Veronica Arreza (social researcher) = LGBT subculture
- Prof. Natividad Lacdan (UP Ecology professor) = ecotourism; ecohealth; gender and water
- Prof. Jerome Ong (UP History professor) = health history
- Prof. Mary Dorothy Jose (UP History professor) = different faces of women's heroism in contemporary Philippine history; level of awareness of Filipino families on the reproductive health issues
- Atty. Rowena Soriano (UP PolSci professor) = prostitution; syndicates operating among government agencies; review of the Philippine criminal justice system
- Prof. Erle Frayne Argonza = past life, reincarnation, karma, post-church spirituality
- Diwang Palaboy = Cross-cultural study of Philippine indigenous people's concept of poverty
- recommendations by world's economists on how to stem the current financial tsunami =
cut interest rates, recapitalize the banks and insure deposits; get governments to step in and guarantee short-term interbank lending (Time magazine)
- G-7 = meeting of financial ministers of 7 highly industrial nations namely France, Germany, Italy, Japan, United Kingdom, USA and Canada
- G-8 = annual meeting of the heads of the governments of G-7 nations, including Russia
- BSP = lender of last resort (Philippines)
- IMF = world's lender of last resort
- net satisfaction rating = satisfaction rating - dissatisfaction rating
- net trust rating = trust rating - distrust rating
- political corruption = public power is exercised for private gain
- grand corruption = pertains to losses to government of millions, perhaps, billions of pesos where the suspect perpetrator include high profile personages
- petty corruption = small-scale corruption perpetrated, say, by traffic enforcers
Thursday, October 09, 2008
- bancassurance = selling insurance policies through banks
- traditional insurance policies = purely insurance coverage (sometimes with dividend)
- non-traditional insurance policies = insurance with a built-in investment
(high yield but high risk especially if largely invested in equities)
- tax intent = tax objective
- recession = negative growth for 2 quarters or more (Fabella)
- zoochosis = psychological condition in which animals display
obsession and repetitive behaviors (Bill Travers of Born Free Foundation)
- zoochosis manifestations = e.g. incessant pacing in one area, bar biting, neck twisting, swaying, overgrooming (PETA)
- "pinakanta" = forced confession
- "snail mail" = derogatory term for traditional mail
- DS 100 (Development Theories)
- DS 112 (Third World Studies)
- DS 125 (Political Economy of International Relations)
- DS 126 (Politico-Administrative Institutions and Behavior)
- NSTP CWTS II (Policy Studies)
- nephrotoxicity = poisonous effect of some substances on the kidney (bulatlat)
- foreign remittance = e.g. OFW remittances to the Philippines
- local remittance = e.g. remittances of household helpers to their families in the province
- 7-10% GDP growth = preoccupation of emerging/high growth economies in Asia
- China, India, Arab countries = other sources of foreign direct investments
that can compensate for the decline in FDI inflow from regions afflicted by
the financial crunch (Dr. Bernardo Villegas)
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
- buffet breakfast and tea-house break
- raffle prizes
- a sumptuous lunch
- green fee**
*I chanced upon this one in an invitation card.
**Is this to "compensate" for the plunder wrought by maintaining a golf course to the environment?
- DS 123 = Margaret Pearl Laforteza (DS)
- Econ 101 TF = Rich Almario (AS)
- Econ 11 = Mari Franchine Daya (BSN)
- Econ 101 W = Divine Arawiran (AS) and Kenneth Haze Sanchez (AS)
- DS 127 = Yfur Porsche Fernandez (DS) and Anna Franchesca Dominique Duquiatan (DS)
*1st semester, 2008-2009
Mas nakakaganang magsaliksik at magsulat ng papel kung:
- interesado ka sa paksa (kung hindi man ay p'wede sigurong ikondisyon ang sarili)
- may sapat na oras (kung kulang man ay p'wedeng sigurong piliting pagkasyahin)
- at kung talagang binabasa ng dalubguro ang iyong isinumite ('di mo na ito kontrolado!)
Kung wala kahit isa sa tatlong ito, ang tanging kunswelo na lang ng mag-aaral
ay may natutunan siyang bago at dagdag katiyakan na pagpasa sa klase.
Wala rin akong mga proyektong ipapagawa sa mga mag-aaral sa dulo ng semestre.
Sa halip ay bandang gitna na lang ng klase.
Una, para mas mabasa at maiwasto ko ang kanilang mga isinumite.
Ikalawa, para hindi makipagsabayan sa iba pang asignatura. Para na rin tiyakin na mas mapagtutuunan ito ng pansin ng mga mag-aaral kumpara kung isasabay sa 4-5 pa nilang
rekisito sa ibang dalubguro.
Ikatlo, para mas makapaghanda ako sa susunod na semestre.
Panghuli pero pinakamahalaga, para makapagpahinga ako ng mas maaga : )
Kapwa naghahanda para sa kani-kanilang klase.
Nagkataong pareho rin ng paksang tatalakayin sa araw na 'yon
Nagpasiklaban ng kanya-kanyang istilo ng paglatakay sa paksa.
"Ang istilo ko ay ganito," bulalas ng una.
"Ako nama'y sa paraang ito," buwelta ng isa.
Nagpataasan ng ihi. Tila walang magpapalamang.
Sa isip-isip ng bawat isa ay siya ang natatangi at pamantayan.
Nakakaawang pakinggan ang dalawa.
Sana kinausap na lang nila ang sarili sa salamin.
Kapwa sila nilamon ng kanya-kanyang matayog na tingin sa sarili - too consumed of themselves.
- "economism" = economic condition as the ultimate determinant or basis of everything else
- partisan scholarship = type of scholarship favoring the marginalized, disenfranchised and underrepresented sectors in the society (according to Renato Constantino)
- throw-away society = a consumerist society heavily dependent on disposable commodities
- corporate greed, import liberalization and government neglect = causes of melamine contamination (according to Dr. Romeo Quijano and Dr. Eleanor Jara)
- 191 million = total number of migrants globally
- profit = 'residue', 'surplus', incentive', 'reward'
- Huang Guangyu (electronics retail business mogul) = China's richest man
- Maita Gomez on political economy of development =
Tuesday, October 07, 2008
- Ayala Group = Philippine's oldest and largest conglomerate
- conglomerate = a corporation that has diversified in operations usually by acquiring enterprises in widely varied industries (http://www.vss2000.com/)
- galunggong = round scad
- DENR = Kagawaran ng Kapaligiran at Likas na Yaman
- sericulture = silk farming; the production of raw silk by raising silkworms (wordnet.princeton)
Napakalaki ng naging papel ng inyong pagbabahagi sa klase upang mas matuto ang bawat isa.
Pinakamataas na pagpupugay sa inyong lahat!
- "basket case" symptoms = war, disease, famine (Source: Time magazine)
- South Africa = largest economy in the African continent (Time)
- Prosperity theology =
"God will make a way for poor people to enjoy the better things in life" (Time)
"Adherents will reap rewards if they prove their faith to God by contributing heavily to their churches, remaining mentally and verbally upbeat and concentrating on divine promises of worldly bounty supposedly strewn throughout the Bible." (Time)
- complex emergencies = e.g. civil war, ethnic strife, terrorism, etc.
Monday, October 06, 2008
Sunday, October 05, 2008
Hindi ito maitatanggi.
Mas marami pa silang lilitaw kung magkakaroon ng iba't ibang pagkakataon
at paraan upang tuklasin at linangin ang kanilang angking-galing.
Mahalaga ang papel ng guro at mga kamag-aral sa prosesong ito."
Kagawaran ng Kutang-Bato
- sadyang taglay ang kakaibang kabaitan
- crisis of legitimacy
- crisis of over-extension
- crisis of overproduction
- shock therapy = the abrupt introduction of free markets in a
formerly centrally planned economy (John Taylor)
- egoistic = a person who is too consumed of himself/herself
- libel = crime against honor (Penal Code)
- malum in se = inherently wrong, evil in itself (e.g. murder)
- malum prohibitum = wrong because prohibited (e.g. illegal parking)
- pagmumuling-gamit = recycle (original translation of Renier Martin D. De Grano, Area Studies)
- pakikibagay, pakiki-angkop = flexibility
- tagus-tagusan = see-through
- kauswagan = development
- likas-kayang pag-uswag, likas-kayang pag-unlad = sustaintable development
- karukhaan, karalitaan, kahirapan = poverty
Saturday, October 04, 2008
- DS 123 (Oct. 7) - exam by elimination (media and new media, etc.)
- Econ 101 (Oct. 7) - exam by elimination (Tullao articles)
- Econ 11 (Oct. 7) - show & tell cancelled; release of class cards
- Econ 101 (Oct. 8) - final examination (all photocopied readings, online notes, reports,etc.)
Thursday, October 02, 2008
- Sa dami ng rekisito sa buong semestre, sukli ito sa pagsisikap ng mag-aaral.
- Hindi ko madadala ang mga ipinagkait na UNO sa aking hukay.
- Pambalanse ng GWA ng mag-aaral dahil maraming kuripot na propesor ang naglipana.
- Nakatutulong kadalasan ang mataas na grado upang mas magsikap ang mag-aaral
at mabuo at tumibay ang tiwala niya sa kanyang sarili.
- Para maging mapayapa at matiwasay ang paghihiwalay ng landas namin.
- Bahagi ito ng aking academic freedom.
Pero nambabagsak din ako
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Ilan ang mga sumusunod na naaalala kong tagpo
na lubos akong pinahanga ni Inday, 21 anyos at tubong Leyte:
- Habang nanonood kami ng TV, naibahagi ko sa kanya na sinusuri ng klase ko sa Cultural Studies ang mga lokal na patalastas. Sabi ny'a, "Ah, yung mga propaganda."
- Ipinaalala ko na dapat sinasabon ang lugar kung saan dumudumi ang aso.
"Para mamatay ang mga parasite," dagdag niya.
- Bilang paghahanda sa isang PPT presentation, itinala ko ang mga nakaupong senador sa kasalukuyan. Iniuri ko sila batay sa lima (strongly pro-GMA, nominally pro-GMA, independent, nominally anti-GMA at strongly anti-GMA). Nang aking repasuhin, kulang pala ng isa. Tinamad akong saliksikin on-line kaya tinanong ko siya.
Ipinakita ko sa kanya ang tala:
Lim (may nalalabing 3 taon pero nanalo sa pagka-alkalde sa Maynila)
Tiningnan niya, nag-isip at sumagot: Angara.
Hindi eksaherasyon ang popular na mga text joke ukol kay Inday.
Tinanong ko siya dati kung anong pangarap n'ya maging.
"Teacher", sagot niya.
"Anong subject ang gusto mo ituro?," tanong ko.
Nag-isip at sumagot: Political History
Lupeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet mo, Rodessa!
- technocultural studies = http://technoculture.ucdavis.edu/curriculum.php
- party-switching = turncoatism = balimbing system
- external debt = both cause and consequence of the Philippine economic crisis
(Dr. Rizal Buendia, DLSU-Manila)
- diminishing marginal utility = diminishing increment of pleasure
- non-wage benefits = e.g. shuttle services, rice subsidy, tax-exemption, etc.
- incentive/disincentive = performs a crucial role in rational decision-making
- 2 sides of the story: "If we understand one side, the other will be easy to grasp."
- Robert Heilbroner
- cooperative = subscribes to the principles of self-sufficiency and collectivism
- Wait and See = http://www.malaya.com.ph/oct02/edit.htm
- decoupling theory = the contentious assumption that the emerging markets
in the Third World (e.g. China, India, etc.) can still flourish even
as the Global North's economy is faltering
- $700-B bail out plan = http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/oct/02/creditcrunch.marketturmoil
- When 'never again' became 'once again' =
- Buffet's warning since 2003 = http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2817995.stm
- Warren Buffett = http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/10/billionaires08_Warren-Buffett_C0R3.html
- Pornography =
- Palawan = http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/anc/09/22/08/palawan-rps-last-ecological-frontier-or-mining-frontier
Rate yourself using the UP grading scale of 1.0-5.0.
Enumerate your major and minor accomplishments since day.
Highlight your learning experiences, realizations, "shining moments" and other related concerns. Use a bluebook and submit it to me personally along with your class cards.
Kindly inform the rest. Salamat po.
DS 123 (Oct. 3)*
Econ 101 TF (Oct. 3)
Econ 11 (Oct. 3)
NSTP (Oct. 4)
DS 127 (Oct. 4)
Econ 101 W (Oct. 8)
*May I also remind you of your random jottings and CVs