- 70% of the references should constitute published books & articles.
Note: Major demerit for over-reliance to online-sources.
- Use triangulation (3 elements, i.e. facts, figures & illustrations; 3 sources)
- Process the data. Outline the text. Analyze the information.
- Avoid copy-pasting. Uphold intellectual honesty.
- Maximize the library resources.
- Grading criteria: substance, syntax, creativity & comprehensiveness
- Implement the corrections and suggested inputs as
soon as you received your draft. Then submit again.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
- lack of political will
- problems in the bureaucracy
(corruption, red tape, lack of skilled managers)
- huge foreign debt
- natural calamities
Source: Development Administration in the Philippines by Alex Brillantes, Jr.
St. Scholastica's College at Adamson University.
Naimbitahan na rin bilang panauhing tagapagsalita sa
University of Sto. Tomas, Far Eastern University,
UP Diliman at iba pang pamantasan.
Nalibot ko na rin ang marami pang pamantasan
habang ako'y aktibong naghahanap ng mapagtuturuan.
Pero tanging sa UP Manila lamang may
freedom wall na may _____ katangian.
Mabuhay ang UP!
Pagbati sa iyong sentenaryo!
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
- Si Gloria at ang nagnanaknak na nana
- Si Gloria at ang pathological micro-organisms
- Si Gloria at si Garci, Bedol at Abalos, the magicians
- Si Gloria at ang mga bugaw sa Remedios Memorial Circle
- Si Gloria at ang mga TABA cops
(tamad, abusado, bastos at ayaw padisiplina)
- Si Gloria at ang trashslide
- Si Gloria at ang Cholera epidemic
- Si Gloria at si Marcos
- Si Gloria at ang mga trawl fisher
- Si Gloria at ang mga transnational mining operator
- Si Gloria at ang mga nambabarat na komersyante
- Si Gloria at si Hitler
- Si Gloria at si Bush
- Si Gloria at ang self-segmenting viscera sucker (mananaggal)
- Si Gloria at ang heavy metal contaminants
- Si Gloria at ang mga jueteng at warlords
- Si Gloria at si Palparan, the “butcher”
- Si Gloria at ang kemikal na agent orange
- Si Gloria at ang mga “loansharks”
- Si Gloria at ang mga e-waste
- Si Gloria at ang mga sukdol-ganid at himod-tumbong
na mga “Palakpak Boys” sa Kongreso
- Si Gloria at ang linta
- Si Gloria at ang mga landmine
- Si Gloria at ang mga mapaminsalang janitor fish sa Laguna Lake
Gloria indeed serves a purpose.
She serves as a BAD example.
- Advani (Geography and Development)
- Andaya (Trade and Development)
- Angeles (Women and Development)
- Baquiran (Human Rights and Development)
- Belgira (Ecology and Development)
- Bruselas (Human Resources and Development)
- Caanta (Technology and Development)
- Cauton (Public Administration and Development)
- Concepcion (Agriculture and Development)
- Dela Cruz (Service Sector and Development)
- Duquiatan (Tourism and Development)
- Eguico (Health and Development)
- Elefan (Policy and Development)
- Fernandez (Social Research and Development)
- Francisco (Civil Society and Development)
- Gamao (Taxation and Development)
- Hechanova (Community Organizing and Development)
- Hondrade (Peace and Development)
- Javier (Judiciary and Development)
- Lara (Nationalism and Development)
- Lopez (Social Capital and Development)
- Martinez (Culture and Development)
- Mayoca (Gender and Development)
- Meneses (Media and Development)
- Onanad (Education and Development)
- Politud (Energy and Development)
- Rosales (Public Sector Reform and Development)
- Tan (Housing and Development)
- Tecson (Population and Development)
- Tibon (Land Reform and Development)
- Villanueva, K. (Diplomacy and Development)
- Villanueva, S. (Foreign Investment and Development)
- Yasay (Local Government and Development)
- Infoload. Process. Analyze.
- counter-hegemony = counter-establishment
- mundo = physical world only
- daigdig = includes its social, cultural, political & economic aspects
- ersatz independence = fake/bogus independence
- Asia = next AIDS epicenter
- budget = actual translation of the government's set of priorities
Monday, February 25, 2008
Selection of topics:
- Political Theory
- Political Dynamics
- Public Administration
- International Relations
- Comparative Politics
- Political Economy
- Political Sociology
- Political Anthropology
- No duplication of topics
- 5-6 members per group
- minimum number of references: 50
(books, articles, online sources, interviews)
- Manny Villar was once a market vendor himself.
- Mar Roxas is a staunch defender of consumer's rights.
- Abris (caretaker government)
- Acosta (Gandhian economics)
- Alfonso (Sociology of care work)
- Ang (political change)
- Arquiza (constitutional crisis)
- Balbin (bioterrorism)
- Balicsa (constitutional law)
- Burgos (ethnoscience)
- Caldoza (kleptocracy)
- Caraan (super profit)
- Cesar (oral history)
- Conferido (turbo-capitalism)
- Cortes (mental health)
- Cortey (e-jeepney)
- Crisostomo (gender and development)
- De Jesus (post-colonial discourse)
- Dionisio (identity politics)
- Florendo (matagalang digmang bayan)
- Giron (underemployment)
- Gomez (nuclear rights)
- Jalina (Black feminism)
- Lentejas (health informatics)
- Lopez (diabesity)
- Mabansag (energy independence)
- Mendoza (community medicine)
- Murillo (health holidays)
- Pineda (landmines)
- Roa (Stolen Generation)
- Santuele (American studies)
- Soliza (Sinology)
- Tayag (community press)
- Torres (political law)
- Velasquez (rights-based approach)
- Villegas (capacity-building)
- Caspe (tax holiday)
- Baquiran (appropriate technology)
- Madriaga (revolutionary justice)
- del Rosario (industrial trees)
- Javier (blue-ribbon committee)
- 2-3 minutes
- 3-4 references
- highlights only
- with hand-outs (1/4 of 8x11 bond paper, front page only)
- Arial narrow, 12 points, bullet format
- active income
(earnings from salary/wage; earnings from the active involvement in business)
- passive income
(earnings from rentals, royalties, network marketing, etc.)
- portfolio income
(earnings from bonds, dividends and interest from bank deposits, etc.)
Saturday, February 23, 2008
- Introduction to Law
- Public Policy
- Gender and Development
Friday, February 22, 2008
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
- matrix (comparison or/and contrast)
- feature article
- issue analysis
- political jokes
- facts and figures
- short essay
- interview (Q&A)
- stream of consciousness
- movie review
- position paper
- photo essay
- map with facts and figures
- fearless forecast
- Venn diagram
- crossword puzzle
- letter to the editor
- concept map
- editorial cartoon
- sociological cartoon
- comic strip
- content analysis
- review of related literature
- or combination thereof
*Natagalan at nahirapan ako mag-upload nito.
Napakalakas ng kapangyarihan ng dasal ni Gloria.
Monday, February 18, 2008
Theme: Political Economy
Opening remarks: Fernandez
Closing remarks: Bruselas
Yasay (Hernando de Soto, Peruvian economist)
Villanueva, K. (The Lost Generation)
Politud (Small-island developing states)
Hondrade (Food and Agriculture Organization)
Hechanova (JDV’s 747 economic plan)
Andaya (Sicko by Michael Moore)
Tecson (Seafarer’s rights)
Mayoca (Global gender gap index)
Limit the poem to 4-5 stanzas (4-5 lines per stanza).
Use 4-5 references.
Discuss your topic in 2-3 minutes.
Write in Filipino or English.
Original composition only.
Bring 2 copies of the poem.
- Malaking bagay na sa wikang Filipino ipinapahayag ni
Jun Lozada ang kalakhan ng kanyang mga testimonya.
- Malaking bagay na inieere nang buo ang imbestigasyon sa Senado.
- Malaking bagay na mapagbantay ang midya sa isyung ito.
*Sa nakaraang Harapan sa ABS-CBN, 92% ang naniniwala
sa testimonya ni Lozada samantalang 8% lamang ang hindi.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
oligarchic system in the country but believes that it
can only be resolved through the leadership of GMA.
He keeps on talking about oligarchic
interests but refuses to name names.
Moreover, he keeps on invoking executive privilege
and saying that he cannot remember anything
to evade contentious and dangerous questions.
- no major defections from the state security forces
- no withdrawal of support by incumbent key cabinet appointees
- no broad & sustained street demonstration
- moderate stance of the Catholic Church vs. GMA
- massive support from her political base (LGUs & the Lower House)
- divided and leaderless opposition
- lots of money
interview project in outline format on or before Thursday afternoon.
Note: Considering your busy schedule (also the financial cost),
interview through e-mail is allowed.
- "Unholy trinity" = (WB, IMF and WTO)
- urban decay = urban blight
- DILG = dep't w/ the highest number of cases in the Ombudsman
- jihad = strive
- Human development = process of expanding human choices
- Social movement = may effect or resist change
- manananggal = self-segmenting viscera sucker
- fourth estate = media
- book review = suring aklat
- pamangkin = short for "para namang akin"
- class consciouness = opposite of false consciouness
- debt trap = debt cycle = debt crisis
- illegitimate debt = odious debt
- international division of labor = global assembly line
- majority = 50% + 1
- lupang ninuno = ancestral land
- lupaing ninuno = ancestral domain
- debureaucratization = new public administration = reinventing gov't
- hot money = portfolio investment =
speculative investment = indirect investment
Friday, February 15, 2008
ang tiyak na haharapin ng pamilyang Arroyo sa oras
na matapos ang termino ni GMA bilang pang(g)ulo ng bansa.
Para maiwasan ito, lahat ay kanyang gagawin.
- Maaari siyang magpataw ng batas militar
na maaari namang susugan ng Kongreso
na kalakha'y kanyang kaalyado.
Kasaba'y nito ay ang sunod-sunod na kaso ng
state-sponsored terrorism upang bigyang
katwiran ang pagpapataw nito.
- Maaari niyang isulong ang pagbabago ng
Saligang Batas upang pahabain ang kanyang
termino o para maging punong ministro sa isang
- (Kung magkakaroon man ng halalan sa 2010),
maaari siyang sumuporta ng isang kandidato
sa pagkapangulo at tiyakin ang kanyang panalo
upang hindi mangyari sa kanya ang naging karanasan ni Erap.
Anu't anuman, magiging mapait ang hatol
sa kanila ng mamamayan at ng kasaysayan.
The element of legitimacy is vital to the notion of authority
and is the main means by which authority is distinguished
from the more general concept of power.
Power can be exerted by the use of force or violence.
Authority, by contrast, depends on the acceptance
by subordinates of the right of those above them
to give them orders or directives. "
[Anthony Giddens, Sociology. London: Polity Press, 1997:581]
- Insurance agent on handling rejections
- Trade unionist on labor flexibilization
- Recruitment officer about job hunting myths/tips
- Education official on ladderized education
- Faculty of a private university on the
advantages and disadvantages of part-time teaching
- Legislative staff (Congress) on job satisfaction/dissatisfaction
- Human resources officer on Filipino culture in the work place
- Foreign service officer on his/her FSO exam experience
- Newspaper columnist specializing in
HRD about a particular column topic
- X (needs prior approval by the professor)
*For purposes of brevity and clarity, your group may edit the text.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Monday, February 11, 2008
Limit the poem to 4-5 stanzas (4 lines each). Original composition only.
Use 4-5 references (books, articles, online sources, interviews)
Write the poem in Filipino or Tagalog.
Bring two copies of the poem.
Opening remarks: Pescante
Closing remarks: Ting
Manalo (Emmanuel Lacaba)
Medrano (Edgar Jopson)
Panganiban (Crispin Beltran)
Pescante (Honorato Quisumbing)
Rivera (Romeo Quijano)
Sampiano (Lorena Barros)
Santos (Bishop Alberto Ramento)
Sarausad (Macliing Dulag)
Ting (Bienvenido Lumbera)
Tungol (Fr. Rudy Romano)
Valdez (Nicanor delos Santos)
Villegas (Edberto Villegas)
Wong (Bobby dela Paz)
Aman (Sister Mary John Mananzan)
Gaddi (Alejandro Lichauco)
Cabatuando (Carmen Deunida)
Implication to Rural Administration and Development by Wilfredo Carada
DS 126 (Feb. 15)-poetry reading on political activists and their advocacies
NSTP (Feb. 16)-panel discussion (youtube uploads with social relevance)
DS 128 (Feb. 16)-continuation of reporting; long exam (Sociology)
Bacon (Oriental Americans)
Balanag (Alamat-1st international conference on myths & symbols)
Deligente (Sustainable tourism)
Erive (Lupong tagapamayapa)
Faustino (Use of attack dogs in prisons)
Freyra (debt-for-equity swap)
Frias (Sikolohiyang Pilipino)
Gagarin (Biyakan sa kaliwa)
Go (The role of senior citizens in nation building)
Laforteza (Asian Social Institute)
Lepatan (Cross-cultural psychology)
Lim (Social medicine in Cuba)
Lu (Train gropers in Japan)
Morano (Gunnar Myrdal's Asian Drama)
Navarro (Marxist atheism)
Reburiano (News for sale)
Rigodon (Gawad Manlilikha ng Bayan)
Rodriguez (Matona by Michael Tan)
Rosario (Political economy of Juan Tamad)
Salas (Green courts)
Sanicas (Knowledge products)
Solano (Social marketing)
Tejada (Men's movement)
Teves (Galing Pook)
Tria (1991 rejection of the RP-US Bases Treaty)
- minimum of 5-6 references (books, articles, online sources, interview)
- duplicate copy
- 4-5 stanzas (4-5 lines per stanza)
- 1-2 minutes discussion
the country's political climate necessitates that
it aggressively undertakes congressional investigations.
The Supreme Court already ruled in 2006 that the legislature's
power of inquiry is co-extensive with its power to legislate.
The excesses of the Palace, lower house and the state
security forces call for an activist Senate now more than ever.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Pumili at irehistro ito sa pamamagitan ng pagpapadala
ng mensahe sa blog post na ito (4-5 miyembro kada grupo)
Ibatay ang istruktura ng libro sa Sosyo: Sulyap ng Isang Pinoy
sa Sosyolohiya na isinulat ni Rosalie Matilac.
May kopya ng librong ito sa Asian Social Institute sa Leon Guinto.
Isumite ang magasin sa Mar. 5 (Miyerkules).
Tatalakayin sa klase ang iba pang detalye ukol sa rekisitong ito.
Talaan ng paksa
- Political Economy/Politics of Food
- Political Economy/Politics of Tourism
- Political Economy/Politics of Art
- Political Economy/Politics of Migration
- Political Economy/Politics of Defense
- Political Economy/Politics of Religion
- Political Economy/Politics of Media
- Political Economy/Politics of Gender
- Political Economy/Politics of Law
of measures that protect and enhance the right of all the people
to human dignity; reduce social, economic, and political inequalities;
and political power for the common good."
how to solve problems more effectively
and how to distinguish between alternatives."
- correct and popular
- correct but unpopular
- wrong but popular
- wrong and unpopular*
*most fall under this category
Wednesday, February 06, 2008
- She belongs to two political parties (Lakas and Kampi).
- She pampers the military with promotions & appointments.
- She bribes congressmen with porks and perks.
- She succumbs to the church's stand
on death penalty & population issue.*
- She resorts to populist policies
(food-for-school, Pulis OYSTER, etc.).
*but in a dilemma with respect to mining
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Monday, February 04, 2008
brought about by internal contradictions that beset it.
Take note of the Hyatt 10 mass resignation,
withdrawal of support of disgruntled military
personnels, and recently, JDV's declaration of war.
The administration's show of force through military intimidation
and political pressure is in fact a sign of its inherent weakness.
are held hostage by the elite clans in the country.
The chamber has become an exclusive enclave of the well-connected,
i.e. the power peddlers, power brokers and power wielders.
As such, it was reduced to a mere battleground of
elite and counter-elite forces in business and politics.